Capital-led infrastructure development acts as a key enabler in society, by providing assets that contribute to the achievement of regional and national social, economic and environmental objectives. Our team provides robust research, analysis and advice to shape and develop compelling investment cases, to support effective delivery and to maximise the value resulting from project and programme delivery.
We work collaboratively with our clients and their technical advisors to ensure that they are fully informed of our approach and of how the conclusions have been reached. Where applicable, we also work closely with RSM UK governance, procurement, contract, project finance, tax and risk advisory specialists, to ensure that project delivery arrangements are robust.
- How we help
- Our experience
How we help
We offer a broad portfolio of expertise that is regularly deployed across a range of capital-led projects and we have in-depth knowledge relating to the development of capital projects within the fields of higher education; research, development and innovation; tourism; culture, arts and sport; community development; social housing; transport; and health.
Our team members are fully conversant with best practice guidance on project appraisal, evaluation and business case development within both the UK and Ireland eg HM Treasury Green Book, HM Treasury Magenta Book and the Irish Government’s Public Spending Code.
Our services include:
Policy and programme evaluation
We carry out process, impact and value for money evaluations of infrastructure projects and programmes to determine if their original objectives have been achieved, as well as identifying what worked well and areas for improvement.
Research and strategy development
We carry out qualitative and quantitative research to inform strategies that aim to support client investment strategies eg in relation to specific investment themes, place based interventions and sectors.
Impact analysis and case making
We employ best practice guidance to assess the economic, social and environment impacts of proposed initiatives, and we develop compelling cases to secure public and private sector investment. Our services in this area include the development of strategic outline cases, outline business cases and full business cases; cost benefit analyses; feasibility studies; and business plans.
Benefit realisation and monitoring / evaluation management
We work with clients and their stakeholders to identify and analyse project/ programme benefits; develop management strategies and realisation plans to execute and sustain benefit delivery; and support the development of monitoring and evaluation processes so that performance management and benefit data is captured in a comprehensive and systematic manner.
Examples of our previous assignments include:
- development of a Full Business Case to support UK and Scottish government investment in the development of vertical space launch facilities in the North of Scotland (Space Hub Sutherland);
- development of Outline and Full Business Cases to support the Scottish governments investment in tourism infrastructure at Cairngorm Mountain and the development of the mountain as a year-round visitor attraction;
- development of a number of businesses cases on behalf of Queens’ University Belfast to support investment in a range of new research and teaching facilities;
- development of an Outline Business Case to support the expansion of Ulster University’s Magee Campus in Derry~Londonderry;
- development of an Outline Business Case to support £100 million investment in regional sports stadia in Northern Ireland (ie Windsor Park, Ravenhill and Casement Park);
- on behalf of National Grid PLC, economic and social impact assessment of the proposed redevelopment of gasholder sites in London; and
- on behalf of Invest Northern Ireland, carrying out research on Northern Ireland industrial and office property markets and the identification of potential solutions to address market failure.
Find out more – contact us
To find out more about how our infrastructure specialists can help you, please contact Declan Mackin