RSM has a strong track record in providing clients with robust research and analysis to support evidence-based decision making in relation to climate change, low carbon power, green finance, waste and recycling, innovation and clean growth.
Our sector-based experience is complemented by technical in-house expertise in disciplines such as quantitative analysis, statistics, theory-based evaluation, business case development and qualitative research. We also partner with leading academics and environmental consultants to provide in-depth insight and subject matter expertise.
- How we help
- Our experience
How we help
Policy and programme evaluation
We carry out process, impact and value for money evaluations of energy and environmental policies and programmes to determine if their original objectives have been achieved, as well as identifying what worked well and areas for improvement.
Monitoring and evaluation framework development
We support clients in developing frameworks, processes and systems that support effective monitoring, evaluation and learning at a project, programme and organisational level.
Research and strategy development
We carry out qualitative and quantitative research to inform strategies that aim to support transition to net zero, maximise opportunities emerging from green growth and to protect and enhance the environment. We utilise participatory and consultative engagement methods to support information exchange, build trust and consensus among stakeholders, and to empower stakeholders to take action to address identified issues.
Impact analysis and case making
We employ HM Treasury best practice guidance to assess the economic, social and environment impacts of proposed initiatives, and we develop compelling cases to secure public and private sector investment.
Examples of our recent assignments include:
- development of a monitoring and evaluation framework to support the delivery of the £215 million Low-Cost Nuclear Programme by UK Research and Innovation;
- impact evaluation of the of £31.5 million Strategic Priorities Fund Greenhouse Gas Removal Demonstrators programme;
- process and impact evaluation of the Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy’s Green Heat Network Fund;
- on behalf of a private sector client, development of a business case to support a capital funding bid for the development of a high temperature thermal storage system;
- economic impact assessment of the development of a 480-megawatt gas-fired power plant in Antrim, Northern Ireland; and
- evaluation of Scottish Enterprise’s Renewable Energy Investment Fund and Energy Investment Fund.