Record numbers of taxpayers are being subjected to tax investigations and compliance checks.
HMRC do not need a reason to investigate you or your business. As part of a strategy to clamp down on tax avoidance and evasion, HMRC is now conducting thousands of compliance checks per year in order to ensure taxpayers pay the right amount of tax. HMRC has even developed a powerful new tool, which trawls through the financial information of businesses and individuals to unearth discrepancies in income, assets and transactions. Checks of tax returns and books and records can be made on a random basis, at any time, and even if no extra tax is payable an investigation can not only prove expensive in terms of professional fees defending your position, but it can be disruptive and a stressful process.
The increased focus on tax investigations means you cannot afford to be at risk.
How RSM can help you
The Enhanced Tax Compliance Service (ETCS) is designed to reduce the uncertainty over the accountancy costs which could be incurred in dealing with a compliance check whilst at the same time making our specialist tax knowledge available to you. Whilst the ETCS cannot prevent HMRC initiating a compliance check, it will go a long way to taking the worry out of the process and could save you thousands of pounds.
An investigation could range from a detailed examination of a specific item on a tax return, to a full review of your affairs. HMRC has the power to inspect business documents and assets at your premises, make unannounced inspections and go back up to six years to investigate matters.
HMRC’s increased focus on carrying out investigations on both individuals and businesses has led to the development of RSM’s Enhanced Tax Compliance Service.
Benefits of the ETCS
By taking advantage of the ETCS, you can be supported without incurring additional costs, when dealing with:
- HMRC investigations and interventions;
- self-assessment enquiries and reviews;
- business support helpline*
- employer compliance reviews, enquiries and disputes;
- VAT reviews, enquiries and disputes; and
- IR35 enquiries.
5 reasons why you should consider taking up the ETCS
- Anyone who submits a tax return is at risk of a HMRC investigation.
- You could be investigated at random, at any time – even if you have done nothing wrong.
- The stress of an investigation can be considerable.
- HMRC are dedicating more resource to investigating taxpayers.
- It could save you many thousands of pounds.
To take up the ETCS please contact the ETCS unit or fill in the form below: