Susan is a partner in our employer solutions team with over 30 years' experience in the employment tax, investigations and reward field. She has a wealth of experience in dealing with all aspects of PAYE and Social Security in the UK and overseas, as well as the CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) and CJRS (Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme). Susan is highly experienced in employee benefits and expenses, compliance and employment status issues, reward planning and salary sacrifice, from both an advisory and compliance perspective.
Susan advises clients across a range of sectors in both the corporate and not for profit sectors. Susan’s approach is to establish and maintain a strong relationship with clients.
An experienced industry speaker, Susan writes regularly for several publications. She also regularly liaises with HMRC on relevant sector specific issues.
When asked about what she enjoys about her role at RSM, Susan says:
Working as part of a team to help solve clients issues is very satisfying, no two days are exactly the same. Whilst you might be applying the same tax law the circumstances or people involved are always different which makes every situation unique.
Susan is the current President of the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) and sits on the employment taxes committee. She is a Fellow of CIOT and a member of ATT.
Susan was included in the 2018 to 2022 Reward Strategy Reward 300 Hall of Fame and the Accountancy Age Financial Power List 2019. She also received highly commended in the Women in Accountancy and Finance Awards 2020, Role Model of the Year - Practice (National and Global). With the team being awarded the Global Payroll Association Outstanding Award in 2021.
Outside of work Susan enjoys travelling when time allows, as well as live entertainment, the arts, and spending time with her family.
Susan’s RSM timeline:
- 2019: re-joined RSM as Partner
- 2008: joined RSM as Director
Press and appearance highlights:
- RSM UK – New CIOT President formally welcomes Andrew Hubbard as East Midlands Branch Honorary President, June 2022
- RSM UK – Susan Ball appointed as new president of the Chartered Institute of Taxation, June 2022
- Accountancy Daily – Furlough overclaim probe threat as deadline expires, October 2020
- Personnel Today – More than 9 million furlough claims made, June 2020
- Employee Benefits – Government publishes review of implementation of IR35 off-payroll rules, March 2020
- Tax Journal – HMRC’s revised CEST tool, January 2020
- Personnel Today – IR35 rules will not change legislation, January 2020