Akhlaq is a partner within RSM UK’s forensic services practice and leads the accounting investigations business at RSM UK. He is a trained Chartered Accountant and a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. Akhlaq has spent 18 years as a forensic accountant. He, previously, led the forensic practice for a Big Four accounting firm in the South of England.
Akhlaq has extensive experience in leading investigations and dispute assignments across a number of industry sectors including retail, utilities, defence, technology, public sector, oil and gas. Akhlaq is also an active member of the Fraud Advisory Panel and has, previously, hosted joint thought leadership events on latest fraud matters with the Fraud Advisory Panel.
Akhlaq's experience extends to contractual compliance and investigation work where Akhlaq has led a number of engagements for clients looking to understand whether there has been any overcharging and/or non-compliance to third party contractual terms. Akhlaq’s work in this area has helped clients recover many millions.
Akhlaq’s experience includes:
- working for a buy side client, Akhlaq led a review of accounting entries made by the sell side in a set of completion accounts related to a transaction matter in the oil industry, saving the client£3.5m.
- leading a large shadow investigation into a Ponzi scheme for a client in the legal sector. The client was being investigated by the Solicitors Regulation Office (SRO) and the Police.
- leading a review of contracts for a global pharmaceutical company. Akhlaq’s and his team identified £2m of overcharging by suppliers.
- leading a multi-disciplined team to investigate whistleblower allegations in the property and facilities management industry.
- leading a large multi-jurisdictional investigation into whistleblower allegations of ‘kickbacks’ at a large supplier in the technology industry.