RSM’s August 2019 emergency services sector briefing provides a useful source of insight into recent developments and publications affecting the sector.
Since our previous edition, the sector has seen a number of changes following the arrival of a new Prime Minister. Priti Patel has been appointed as the new Home Secretary, Boris Johnson has announced a police recruitment drive to employ 20,000 new officers, a new national policing board has been formed and the government has lifted emergency stop and search restrictions as part of their efforts to tackle violent crimes.
In this edition we have look at:
- the progress made on the delivery of the Emergency Services Network (ESN);
- Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services (HMICFRS) report on effectiveness, efficiency and legitimacy of police forces (PEEL);
- HMICFRS annual assessment of policing in England and Wales
- HMICFRS report highlighting the inconsistent approach in tackling fraud;
- HMICFRS overview of the second tranche of independent inspections into FRSs;
- Home Office’s statistics on fire and rescue incidents; and
- Local Government Association’s guide for fire authority members.